2nd FV Hot or Colt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonlpearce

Reaction score
Am currently on my second brew.

It was in the primary FV for about 3 weeks, i have now siphoned it into a secondary ready for bottling but want to let it clear as much as possible first.

I currently have the secondary FV in a room which the temp varies from about 16 to 20 degrees, should i move it somewhere a little colder to help it clear down?

Also how long can it stay in here considering its already done about 3 weeks in the primary?

I usually transfere to a secondary sooner, ie after a week when fermentation has stopped and you have got a steady FG. However I leave at fermentation temp for a further 3 days in the secondary, this allows the yeast to clean up after itself and metabolise any diactelyl. I then cool it in a cold room or on a cold concrete floor to drop the yeast out. Usually takes 3 -4 days. I then transfere back into another clean sterilised fv with priming sugar for bottling. :thumb:

a little cooler would be better but not essential.
After 3 weeks in first fv I would just give it 2-4 days in second and then get it bottled or whatever.
You should notice some sediment in the fermenter and its good to remember that all that would have been dropped in the bottle

I have mine in FV1 for a week then transfer to FV2 and put it in the cold garage (very cold at the moment!) for 3 or 4 days, then transfer it to bottling location and let it settle for a day. I then bottle.

As yours has been in the fv for a long time already, i'd stick it in a cold location for 2 or 3 days and then bottle.

To be honest i did mean to move it to the secondary vessel sooner than 3 weeks, but had to paint the lounge, lol.

Will leave it in the warm for a few days, then move it to the garage for a couple of days before bottling.

Last time i put the sugar in the bottles and this seemed to work a treat.

No need to leave it warm now the yeast will have done its spring cleaning.

Batch primming is a better method for bottling as it means that you get the correct amount of sugar in each bottle and you won't get over or under primed bottles. :thumb:

+1 for the batch priming.

Boil up your sugar in a little water for 15 mins and cool it to room temp. Add it to your bottling FV and then siphon into it. This mixes it well into the beer. It also means you're leaving behind even more sediment in your FV2 (so less sediment in your beer) :thumb:

Back