1st and only kit....hopefully..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jampot

Reaction score
Trying one kit before moving over to AG. Muntons Smugglers Gold. OG Came in at 1048 @ 23.7 degs. Got a brewmaster barrel with top tap. Had a look at it. Filled it with water to see how the top tap works. But nothing was coming out, does it need to be under pressure or something? Sorry never used a barrel before. Anway, bet concerned with the temp in the bedroom, sorry brew room. 17.5 degs but the brew this am is 22, will check again tonight..

Yes the Barrel needs to be under pressure to get the beer up to the top tap, you can squirt a quick bit of co2 in if you wish to check that it's sealed and working ok.

I wouldn't worry about the temps they are just about right :thumb:

Well it seems constant at 1015, time to keg I think hasnt come out at 5% though more like 4.3%

sounds like it's worked fine :thumb:

Dissolve the necessary amount of sugar in some bolied water to make a syrup, add that to the barrel once it's cooled a bit, fire in beer, give it a wee shake, seal it and keep it somewhere warm (but NOT where a leak will cause problems!) for a week to carbonate, then somewhere cool for a week or two to condition it.

Also, once you've got the beer in the keg, give it a little blast of CO2, wait a few minutes, then gently open the lid to let pressure out and then seal up again - CO2 is heavier than air, so if you do this a few times, giving the gas time to settle each time, you'll end up with a layer of CO2 sitting over the beer, which will starve any nasties than may have got in of oxygen, so preventing any infection getting a hold :thumb:

Moved the keg to a cooler area and noticed the tap which is a top tap. Little bubbles coming out around it. So I losing a tad of pressure. The ale is below the tap entrance. Hmmm what to do?

jampot said:
Moved the keg to a cooler area and noticed the tap which is a top tap. Little bubbles coming out around it. So I losing a tad of pressure. The ale is below the tap entrance. Hmmm what to do?

You could try putting some vaseline around the seal of the tap, that should help to seal it

Lobes said:
jampot said:

You could try putting some vaseline around the seal of the tap, that should help to seal it

Seems to of done the trick, many thanks. Next problem is eveywhere is too hot. I have no temp control..

jampot said:
Lobes said:
jampot said:

Seems to of done the trick, many thanks. Next problem is eveywhere is too hot. I have no temp control..

A good trick is to stand your FV in some sort of waterproof tray or box and put an inch or so of water in the bottom. Then get an old tee shirt, soak it in water and let the FV 'wear' it. Make sure the bottom of the tee shirt is in the water. Capillary action will pull water up from the bottom and keep the shirt wet. The water will evaporate and the latent heat of vaporisation from the evaporation process will suck heat from your FV. It will cool your FV by up to 5C.

If it's still too warm, the next stage is to position a fan to blow air at the tee shirt. It will increase the rate of water evaporation and reduce the temperature by around another 5C.

For additional amusement, add a couple of goldfish to the water.

I lied about the goldfish.

Most interesting I have old zappa t shirt, no that would just be wrong...

8 days in the barrel now and the t shirt is working well to keep it cool, really tempted to try a sip but so far managed to resist...

Ok, just tried a very small drop for qc purposes. Well it tastes like beer. 2 things I noticed. One is there is a slight crackeling sound comimg out from the valve. Also in the beer sample there appears to be white flakes settleing at the bottom of the glass I would imagine if I were to pull a full pint now there would be quite a bit of this....

jampot said:
Ok, just tried a very small drop for qc purposes. Well it tastes like beer. 2 things I noticed. One is there is a slight crackeling sound comimg out from the valve. Also in the beer sample there appears to be white flakes settleing at the bottom of the glass I would imagine if I were to pull a full pint now there would be quite a bit of this....

By crikey - the latent heat chiller must be working if it's turning your beer to snow.

:rofl:

girlfriend came over tonight so I pulled another small drop to show her, no white bits in it at all. Maybe the very 1st drop had yeast caught in the top tap float. The ale felt like it had co2 to the mouth but it didnt seem too alive to the eye. There were a few small round bubbles around the edge of the glass. What should it be like and is eight days too early to get up to full co2 levels. Will try another small drop next weekend. Can that much happen between then and now?

Right its 2 weeks since the beer has been in the barrel. Managed 3/4 of pint before pressure ran out though I would of got more than that!

Sometimes I've managed to get a good 6 or more pints out before the keg needed co2 added, and other times I've had to use co2 almost straight away. I'm inclined to suspect a very slow leak somewhere allowed the building pressure to seep away very gently and slowly...... :hmm:

Yes, I would say its the tap, the nut on the inside thread slips and untightens as you are getting it tight so you have to stop at the point just before you know it will slip but it doesnt seem that tight...

Latest posts

Back