The difference a good crush makes...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have been getting my grain pre crushed and for the last 6 month's from the only place i could find that would crush a sack of grain. Recently i have found another supplier who is cheaper and i'm finding the crush is far superior.

Here's the MO from the first supplier
2991581084_9e4e4d5f85.jpg

Im getting efficiency inthe high 50's to low 60% with this and i'm not that impressed to be honest...

Golden promise from new supplier
2991571286_102de5320c.jpg

I'm getting efficiency in the high 80's to low 90's with this grain and it's NZ$30 a sack cheaper!!!! He was out of MO when i was there last but the MO is only NZ$10 more per sack.

I think you can see the difference in the quality of the crush. I need my own grain mill really.

the bottom picture looks pretty much exactly how my crushed MO looks, and i get low 80's. so yeah, i agree!

Too many whole husks in the first pic . . . need to reduce the gap setting on the mill TBH. Second bag looks much better

I agree, the top bag has too many whole grains in it. On the other extreme is something I've found with precrushed sacks is that you sometimes get a lot of flour (especially at the bottom of a sack) and this is a bad idea if you want to recirculate the mash with a pump. It's prone to getting a stuck mash. I never get a stuck mash with grain I've crushed myself and I still get pretty decent efficiency.

Golden Promise is a good malt cultivar so you can still make great beer with it - I wouldn't worry about not having MO when you've got GP.

Yeah I agree, the second bag looks like the dogs ********!!
I use to get my grains from a market stall in town, god knows how old it was... It's only since I've been getting fresh grain my brews are good enough to offer taste tests to neighbours, friends and family!!
Before I gave it to the mother-in-law!! Lol :rofl:

John

Latest posts

Back