Oxygenation of hoppy wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about the dry hop.
Is it the case that even lifting the lid and dropping them in followed by purging headspace with CO2 would result in sufficient oxygen to cause a problem? Considering any oxygen in the transfer line when transferring would be an issie, I suppose I should avoid removing the lid at all for the dry hop.
Probably not an issue Tbh, there will be a more dense CO2 blanket on top that should keep it mostly insulated from O2 and any additional CO2 production should vent any O2 introduced I think.

I (probably mistakenly now I re-read it) assumed you were pressure fermenting and then pressure transferring, in which case opening up to introduce your hops isn't really an option.

When brewing traditional ales I'm not too fussed about potential oxidation. However, when brewing NEIPA that requires a huge (+250 gram) dry hops, I do everything I can to reduce the risk of oxygen being introduced towards the end of fermentation and thereafter. I use a standard lidded fermentation bucket so I made magnetic dry hoppers that hang from the lid and can be opened without lifting the lid. I also (probably a bit of a waste of time but..) "seal" the lid with insulation tape. A bit OTT? Yes. Over-complicated? Of course 😂

IMG_20240325_110403743.jpg

IMG_20240325_110422552.jpg

IMG_20240411_145255714.jpg

When brewing traditional ales I'm not too fussed about potential oxidation. However, when brewing NEIPA that requires a huge (+250 gram) dry hops, I do everything I can to reduce the risk of oxygen being introduced towards the end of fermentation and thereafter. I use a standard lidded fermentation bucket so I made magnetic dry hoppers that hang from the lid and can be opened without lifting the lid. I also (probably a bit of a waste of time but..) "seal" the lid with insulation tape. A bit OTT? Yes. Over-complicated? Of course 😂

View attachment 98358
View attachment 98359
View attachment 98360
Wow, excellent solution, and a good use of the 3D printer!

I shall be fermenting in my fermzilla, more than anything to enable an easy closed transfer. I did see the hop bong from kegland and currently weighing up whether it is worth it or not.

Latest posts

Back