Mash Tun Question.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackarrow

Reaction score
Not that I'm AG brewing at the moment, but I was wondering if the igloo type cooler boxes were any good to use as a mash tun?

Like this one on flea bay : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380066020900

This is a 66 Litre one, I've heard some of the bigger ones may have a step/sort of shelf section inside, does anyone know that is the case, I've trawled the interweb for piccies, but haven't found any of the inside.

They also make them in 45 Litre sizes, would that be a better size?

Ta

BA

I've heard of a few people using the Igloo coolboxes - never heard mentioned a shelf though.

In terms of size - 66 litres is quite big if you're only brewing 5 gallon brews. I have a 28 litre coolbox which does the job perfectly for average gravity beers (1.040-1.050) while batch sparging. With a larger coolbox there'd be more head space which might cause temperature issues.

If you're planning on brewing 10 gallons then 66l I guess would be about right if you batch sparged.

I use a 66L coolbox for 10 gallon batches, different to that design though. I agree with Jonnyv, if you're brewing 5 gallon batches a smaller 28L coolbox would be better for the reasons he's mentioned. :)

Back