Have I ruined my brew? - BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BottlesCansCraft

Reaction score
Hi,

When brewing this morning, I was in another world and not concentration, and after the mash for my BIAB brew, I upped the heat to get to the boil and left my grain bag in. It took me about 5 mins of the boil to realise this (I can't believe I made such a daft error).

Will this ruin my IPA?

OK, so would the 5 mins be from the turning on of the heat or the start of a rolling boil?
If the former, no issue - same as a mash-out, if the latter, is your bag alright?

The usual issue with boiling grain is the release of tannins into the wort once the temps get above 80C or so.
From making Elderberry wines many years ago, I know that tannins will fade over time (could be the best part of 5 years IIRC!).
If there is no damage to anything other than, potentially, this particular beer, suggest just seeing what happens with it, expecting little, being very patient and hoping for more than you expect?
Very unlikely it will make you ill.

As we all know, the advice is to not boil grains.

However, I had an interesting chat with a LHBS owner about boiling grains, he produces his own "simplified" extract kits that you boil for an hour with two bags of hops, one goes in at the start and the other goes in 10min from the end of the boil. Turns out the bags contain grains too. I made a load of these up in my early days of brewing and the beer was great, LHBS owner reckons it's a myth that boiling grains causes problems.

Maybe what the world really needs right now is a Brulosophy exbeeriment on this grain boiling.

Maybe what the world really needs right now is a Brulosophy exbeeriment on this grain boiling.
Ha, great shout. I love the Brulosophy expbeeriments, really helps debunk a lot of commonly held beliefs. Some of my favourite experiments and resulting knowlege was their dryhop limit after which it doesn't seem to make a different in taste (8g/l) and that preference for aroma and flavour in dry hopped was when the timing of the dry hop was at yeast pitch, not the common 3/4 days to go

Back