Chocolate Waffle Stout - Help Needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cammmy

Reaction score
Hi All

I've brewed various kits and partial mashes before but have just got myself a Brewzilla 3.1 to move into all grain. I brewed a Grapefruit IPA over the weekend and have a Dopplebock to do once the fermenter is free. After this I want to do something more interesting and was thinking a Chocolate Waffle Stout. I've never created a recipe before, so would like some help coming up with one. Here's what I've got so far:

Just to note, I don't have target gravity etc. I want a big, full bodied and sweet beer but I'm not particularly fussed if it's 7% or 12%

I was going to start with this recipe for a milk stout:

Mash for 1:15. I was thinking a higher temp for more body. 68-70 degrees?

2-row pale malt - 3KG
Roasted barley - 460g
Medium crystal malt - 340g
Chocolate malt - 500g (I've upped this from 340g)
Munich malt - 340g
Flaked Barley 280g
Flaked oats - 220g

In the boil:

Magnum 10g @ 60mins
Goldings 25g @ 10mins
Lactose 460g @ 10 mins

Yeast - Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale

I was thinking about adding the following for the Chocolate waffle aspect

Golden promise malt - what quantity would you suggest?
Chocolate syrup (fat free if possible) - Perhaps have to add to taste in secondary?
Steep 2TBsp fenugreek and 2 Vanilla pods in 1/2 cup of bourbon, add at bottling with maple syrup to carbonate.

Any thoughts? If anyone has a recipe for this, I'd love to see it. I couldn't find one, so would like to have a crack at it. Also, I'm not sure if all of this is available in the UK, so any substitutions would be appreciated.

Ta

The above recipe isn't a milk stout. Milk stout typically use lactose to sweeten. Not sure if I can help getting a waffle flavour but to me it seems too many things going on with that recipe. Do you need the bourbon and vanilla for example

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have lactose listed in the boil section.

As for the things going on, I'm open to suggestion. The bourbon was to make a tinkture with the fenugreek to get maple flavour; I can drop the vanilla. I figured bourbon might add a little something over using vodka?

I think 1.3 kg of chocolate,crystal and roasted barley is way too much it will be too bitter (in a roasty/chocolate way) for my liking I would dial it down for your first attempt and then perfect it from there its easier to add next time and impossible to take away

Great, thanks, would you suggest removing some from all 3 or more from one than the others?

Hi All

I decided to make things a bit safer and just go with the Milk Stout recipe from my homebrew book and then try add what I want, rather than trying to mix in too much from the waffle ale thread I was reading. This is what I have for a 23L batch:

.22kg Flaked oats
.28kg Flaked barley
.34kg Chocolate malt (either late mash edition or cold steeped?)
.34kg Medium crystal
.34kg Munich
.46kg Roasted barley
3kg 2 row Pale malt
.50kg Golden promise (my edition)
.45kg Lactose
.5kg Maple syrup (my edition)
10g magnum @60min
30g Goldings @ 10 min
.23kg Cacao nibs, soaked in spirit for 1 week then all added to secondary for 1-2 weeks
Fenugreek tincture added to taste at bottling (Fenugreek us used to make maple flavoured syrup)

Yeast, WY-1084

Beersmith is estimating 1.065 OG and 1.018 GF for 6.2% abv (plus the spirit, which won't be much), which I would be happy with

Is there anything here that looks totally wrong for what i'm trying to do?

All help appreciated.

Back