British man killed as London-Singapore flight hit by turbulence

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
According to GB news the plane fell 6000 feet. ashock1

A 73-year-old British man has died and more than 30 other people have been injured on a Singapore Airlines flight from London which was hit by severe turbulence.

The Singapore-bound Boeing 777-300ER was diverted to Bangkok, making an emergency landing at 15:45 local time (08:45 GMT).

Passengers said the aircraft suddenly dropped - and people and objects were thrown around the cabin.

The flight was carrying 211 passengers and 18 crew, Singapore Airlines said. It offered its deepest condolences to the family of the deceased, who has yet to be named.

LIVE: Follow all the latest news and updates

“I was covered in coffee,” Andrew from London told BBC 5 Live. “During the few seconds of the plane dropping, there was an awful screaming and what sounded like a thud."

Andrew said once the turbulence had settled, he had been able to help a woman "screaming in agony" who had a "gash on her head".

Andrew says passengers are being kept in a special part of the airport in Bangkok. "I will get on another flight, these are very rare occurrences," he said.

Another passenger told Reuters news agency the aircraft suddenly started "tilting up and there was shaking".

"So I started bracing for what was happening, and very suddenly there was a very dramatic drop so everyone seated and not wearing a seatbelt was launched immediately into the ceiling," 28-year-old student Dzafran Azmir said.

"Some people hit their heads on the baggage cabins overhead and dented it, they hit the places where lights and masks are and broke straight through it."

The airline said 31 people who were on board the plane had been taken to hospital.

"The remaining passengers and crew are being examined and given treatment where necessary at Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok."

The statement added that the airline was working with Thai authorities to provide medical assistance to passengers, and was sending a team to Bangkok to provide any additional help needed.

Thai authorities have despatched ambulances and emergency teams to Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Singapore's Transport Minister Chee Hong Tat said the government would provide assistance to the passengers and their families.

"I am deeply saddened to learn about the incident on board Singapore Airlines flight SQ321 from London Heathrow to Singapore," he posted in a statement on Facebook.

It is still not clear how events unfolded. Turbulence is most commonly caused by aircraft flying through cloud, but there is also "clear air" turbulence which is not visible on a jet's weather radar.

“Injuries from severe turbulence are relatively rare in the context of millions of flights operated.

"However, severe turbulence can be dramatic and lead to severe injuries or sadly in this case a fatality," aviation expert John Strickland told the BBC.

Flight crews are also trained in how to respond to turbulence, he added.

"It is not for nothing that airlines recommend keeping seat belts loosely fastened throughout a flight, be it long or short," he added.

Research has shown that climate change will make severe turbulence more likely in the future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8889d7x8j4o

Sad that someone lost their life in this incident.

This is why I always keep my seat belt on during a flight if I'm seated, which lets face it is most of the time, doesn't have to be done up tight. Also goes to show just what the plane itself can deal with without any problems.

Sad that someone lost their life in this incident.

This is why I always keep my seat belt on during a flight if I'm seated, which lets face it is most of the time, doesn't have to be done up tight. Also goes to show just what the plane itself can deal with without any problems.

It makes sense and its something i would do, i saw video on GB news earlier i couldn't believe how much of the ceiling was partly destroyed.

1716305574658.png

This is why I always keep my seat belt on during a flight if I'm seated, which lets face it is most of the time,
Looks like the man died of a suspected heart attack, so I'm not sure the seat belt would have done him much good. He may have even been wearing one.

But I'm with you - it's on all the time unless I'm up and about. 👍

I encountered something like this a few years back, on a flight from Shanghai. absolutely frightening. I was sitting strapped in watching a film, then chaos. it was like someone had a hold of the plane and was shaking it - must have lasted about 10-15 seconds with drinks /food flying everywhere and lots of screaming (people and engines) the galley at the back of the plane looked like the one in the pic but not much other visible damage to the plane. very scary but I didnt spill a drop! Oh, the film I was watching? leonardo de caprio in The Revenent. Just at the bit where he was fighting the bear! very realistic. Honestly you couldnt make it up! ashock1

Oh, the film I was watching? leonardo de caprio in The Revenent. Just at the bit where he was fighting the bear! very realistic. Honestly you couldnt make it up!
I watched Top Gun maverick on a fight last year... The first bit where he flies off into battle or something about 15 minutes into the film was timed to perfection just as we accelerated down the runway and took off. Amazing timing - couldn't have done it better if it was planned!

How can research show climate change will increase turbulence in the future?
My dog is snoring her head off on the sofa at the moment. Now that's climate change.

Back