Brass in beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A T

Regular.
Reaction score
I made up a strainer for my mash tun and kettle using brass fittings, something in the back of my mind told me to google brass in beer and it came back that there are trace amounts of lead addedto the alloy to machine it and
a thin layer of lead is left on the surface that must be removed prior to
use. As you know, I'm sure, lead isn't too good for you to ingest.
Therefore, to remove the lead, a mixture of a 2-to-1 ratio by volume of
vinegar to peroxide can be used. The vinegar must be 5% acid by volume
(standard white distilled vinegar) and the hydrogen peroxide should be 3% by
volume for the previously mentioned ratio.

Has anybody came across this before or can anybody add to this information?
I don't fancy poisoning myself :oops:

Its an Americanism source is John Palmers How to Brew Appendix A.

John Happens to be a metallurgist so what he says is correct . . . in theory . . . . I remember an experiment where they split a batch of wort between two boilers one all stainless and one with brass fittings . .. Lead levels were measured before and after boiling . . . no statistical difference could be found . . . My take on it is that it's really too low to worry about . . . in fact with the water we have here there are significant levels of lead in it naturally (I use a filter for all my drinking/cooking/brewing water), and anything that comes off the surface of the lead will not do me any damage . . . and once they have been used a few times the surface lead will have gone and no more will come out.

Looks like a GREEN LIGHT to me :party:

Now, stop worrying and get a beer :drunk:

Back