Food Grade Plastic Drum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock Zigger

Reaction score
Anybody ever converted food grade blue plastic drums like the attached photo into a home brew rig?

plastic20drum.jpg

would one of these plastic kegs make a boiler or hot liquor tank, or would the heat melt the plastic, after all some of the comercial boilers are plastic

I asked this question a while ago to the forum and to an eBay seller. The forum's response was that it's not worth the risk of a major accident. The seller was very non-committal and only told me that one of her customers used one for boiling liquid. I'd go with the first.

If you do use one though, I would be keen to know how you get on with it. Though I'd recommend some safety precautions to ensure that no one would be injured in the event of a sudden breakage / total volume spillage.

I do know of someone who does this with with the 220L HDPE barrels . . . but they enclose the barrel in a wooden box insulated with spray foam to fill the gaps . . . this eliminates the problem of bulging/splitting under boiling conditions. . . . but introduces others . . . it works very well though

I have just looked on Wikipedia at the properties of HDPE and this is what it says

"HDPE has little branching, giving it stronger intermolecular forces and tensile strength than lower-density polyethylene. It is also harder and more opaque and can withstand somewhat higher temperatures (120 °C/ 248 °F for short periods, 110 °C /230 °F continuously)."

and as the boiling point of water is 100°C, should make a very good HLT, but possibly not a good brewing copper, any one know the temps reached during the boiling of the wort ?

hopin mad said:
I have just looked on Wikipedia at the properties of HDPE and this is what it says

"HDPE has little branching, giving it stronger intermolecular forces and tensile strength than lower-density polyethylene. It is also harder and more opaque and can withstand somewhat higher temperatures (120 °C/ 248 °F for short periods, 110 °C /230 °F continuously)."

and as the boiling point of water is 100°C, should make a very good HLT, but possibly not a good brewing copper, any one know the temps reached during the boiling of the wort ?

It's around 102 degC

the temps are not high enough to melt one, so i might just put my hand in my pocket and buy so plastic bins,

hopin mad said:
the temps are not high enough to melt one, so i might just put my hand in my pocket and buy so plastic bins,

So have you tried this yet and what are the results?

I have had a plastic boiler split and distribute 25 litres of boiling wort in my general direction. I was lucky I was not closer to it. It wasn't one of these blue barrels but a commercially bought homebrew boiler. I would not ever use plastic again for a boiler. I don't believe it is a risk worth talking.

31bb3 said:
Steve was it bought from a hb shop just outside brum

No it wasn't that one. I had that one from H B and it was quite solid. It was a friends one that split, I was showing him how to brew. It was made by ritchies.

Runwell-Steve said:
31bb3 said:
Steve was it bought from a hb shop just outside brum

No it wasn't that one. I had that one from H B and it was quite solid. It was a friends one that split, I was showing him how to brew. It was made by ritchies.
I get you not a good intro for your friend

Brewberoza said:
hopin mad said:

So have you tried this yet and what are the results?

To answer your question i have been using them for boilers for the past three years no problems at all, though the plastic does get a bit soft near to the elements, though I ususally get the wort up to boil then alternate the elements only using one at a time. :thumb:

I also use the 45 L "chutney" barrels for HLT and Boiler for over a year with no problems. The do become more flexible when hot though and I've heard of them developing splits after prolonged use. However they seem tougher than other commercial one I previously used. I guess your using them for a purpose they were never intended for so it's up to you if your prepared to accept that risk. One day I will go shiny! T

i used a hdpe mango barrel boiler for over 3 years befor upgrading to a bigger 100l boil pot.

the plastic will soften with boil temps, and it will settle on its base with the hot volume so if u fit a sight galss wait to calibrate it til its settled. also the mouth will oval a bit i cut the centre out of my lid and used that to suppotr a circular mouth.

tap-sag.. a front heavy tap can sag when the plastic softens with boil heat too..
7936443660_f7d120ca36.jpg

depends on the h/w u select but at the end of the day it may not be that much more proportionally to go for a big ss pot fom the start, tooling up for hole cutting can increase the cost tho.

Latest posts

Back