Hop plants/rhizomes - growing report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hop garden sorted out. Left to right, prima Donna and 2 cascades. A redsel eastwell (or something like that) plus challenger and progress. View attachment 99398
View attachment 99397
Interesting set of hop variety wigwams you have there.
Yesterday I did a single approximation of your sectional hop stick method for my Prima Donnas.

As to, 'redsel eastwell' - that sounded like a Goldings selection, and indeed it is.
This from Ed's beer site,
"
qq16 August 2017 at 18:19
Just passing by here again, I noticed the comment about Redsell's Eastwell. That refers to an Eastwell Golding clone selected by Wye when they were trying to get clean viroid-free propagation stock in the late 1980s. They took it from the farm of Tony Redsell, the doyen of Kent hopgrowers who was a major force behind getting the PDO for EKG."

Prior to that it was also known as Wye Eastwell Golding.
So that hopefully lets us know what hop you have there.

https://essentiallyhops.co.uk/product/hops/grow-your-own-hops/redsells-eastwell/
Redsell's Eastwell is a Golding selection made at Tony Redsell’s (a local grower) farm in 1988 when Wye College was trying to find viroid free stock of all varieties.

Eastwell is one of the classic Golding clones. Tony Redsell is the doyen of East Kent hop growers, he was the main man behind getting East Kent Goldings recognised as a geographical indication like Parma ham or Champagne.

I was in a commercial garden at the weekend and it was really noticeable how the Fuggles were already ~5' up the strings but the Goldings had bushed out at the bottom but hadn't really got going up the string.
Ah, you got in first!
Sorry to butt in😔

Interesting set of hop variety wigwams you have there.
Yesterday I did a single approximation of your sectional hop stick method for my Prima Donnas.

As to, 'redsel eastwell' - that sounded like a Goldings selection, and indeed it is.
This from Ed's beer site,
"
qq16 August 2017 at 18:19
Just passing by here again, I noticed the comment about Redsell's Eastwell. That refers to an Eastwell Golding clone selected by Wye when they were trying to get clean viroid-free propagation stock in the late 1980s. They took it from the farm of Tony Redsell, the doyen of Kent hopgrowers who was a major force behind getting the PDO for EKG."

Prior to that it was also known as Wye Eastwell Golding.
So that hopefully lets us know what hop you have there.
IMG_20240514_113721.jpg

IMG_20240514_113216.jpg
IMG_20240514_114643.jpg

My 3 Prima Donnas, showing combinations ofall those growth patterns @Northern_Brewer ;
20°S.of E. wall.
1. A triplet just got away from being 'checked' max. 2' (plus pole with a wigwam extension on top).
2. Other side of that same pole with highest bine at 6' 1", and a couple of 'checked' bines just starting to get away now.
20°S.of W. wall.
3. A healthy triplet, up to 4' 3"

Lastly for light relief, my 3 year old Phalenopsis orchid is at last in flower!

IMG_20240514_114722.jpg

https://essentiallyhops.co.uk/product/hops/grow-your-own-hops/redsells-eastwell/
Redsell's Eastwell is a Golding selection made at Tony Redsell’s (a local grower) farm in 1988 when Wye College was trying to find viroid free stock of all varieties.

Eastwell is one of the classic Golding clones. Tony Redsell is the doyen of East Kent hop growers, he was the main man behind getting East Kent Goldings recognised as a geographical indication like Parma ham or Champagne.

I was in a commercial garden at the weekend and it was really noticeable how the Fuggles were already ~5' up the strings but the Goldings had bushed out at the bottom but hadn't really got going up the string.
Yes, that's the one. I can never remember the name - maybe because in the 4 years I've had it I've never had a single hop cone off it. This is it's last chance - if it's pathetic again this year I'll be digging it out.
The Cascades are absolute beasts and very productive. The Challenger is quite good and the Progress very vigorous but a bit iffy in the productivity dept.
I start them off with a pyramid of canes and as they grow add a 12 foot plus pole attached with a rope to the pyramid. When harvesting I can lower the pole making picking easy.

After snapping off the access shoots on my Cascade vines I popped them in a jar of water, the cuttings started rooting after 2 weeks, I then popped them into pots and after another 2 weeks they’re thriving !.. The plan is next year I’m gonna plant them down the railway walk hopefully they’ll go wild
IMG_8838.jpeg

After snapping off the access shoots on my Cascade vines I popped them in a jar of water, the cuttings started rooting after 2 weeks, I then popped them into pots and after another 2 weeks they’re thriving !.. The plan is next year I’m gonna plant them down the railway walk hopefully they’ll go wild View attachment 99416
😂👍😂
Guerilla hop planting, love it!
Good thing hops are an indigenous weed, or you would be prosecuted for wantonly propagating an introduced alien species!
😂👽👍

I checked my crowns a few days ago, they were looking fine and will likely start shooting bines in a few days.
This spring has been really slow though and we only started to get some proper spring temperatures a few days ago, still have some small spots of snow on the ground, wich is late even for us close to the arctic circle...
I spread some chicken manure over them to get some nitrogen in the soil as soon as the snow started melting away.

Will post pics as they get going, the 24/7 daylight means stuff grows at rocket speed up here as summer properly starts, and they're all old Northern/Middle Swedish heritage varieties so they can handle the climate with some basic winter prep after harvest.

Back