Death by cycle.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. In some cases 1.5m feels like a country mile and in others like you've just narrowly escaped death
Passing a cyclists slowly and carefully on a narrow but straight country road at 1 meter is a lot different to passing them at 1.5 meters at 60 mph on a two lane road I always give them much more room in the second example

So,if Chippy_Tea is out in his truck and there's a cyclist doing his best down the narrowest of lanes that make passing impossible, it's probably best he don't attempt it.
My mate drives HGV and stopped in a very narrow lane for a very out of control woman on a horse who insisted on accusations of speeding,erratic driving and running her off the road after a speedy pursuit! She was a right Karen and an idiot. My mates tacho/satnav showed him stopped and then very low speed in that area and time. Police gave her a caution.

Would it be fair to say Jeremy Vine is the name i here mentioned most when people talk about cyclists and i heard one guy say he learned from some very clever people who live in a house in west minster that rules are for bending and even breaking but, if you are caught you take your punishment

Ah there you go....a perfect example of the bias people can get when tensions are stoked up between different groups. Guilty as charged. But the discussion did focus on vigilante cyclists reporting drivers and implying police don't properly review and assess complaints and just rubber stamp complaints by cyclists so that was the point I was trying to make.. that drivers tend to not be so willing to accept things whenever they get caught..same with speeding, parking fines and running red lights...they always feel aggrieved, I count myself in that too.

Good to know that some police forces actually take complaints from cyclists seriously, because where I'm from they go into a black hole and cyclists never get any feedback at all about wether the complaint has been upheld or not.

I agree with your comment about close passes and in some ways it's unfortunate that the 1.5m rule has been made. Wether or not a cyclist feels like they've been a victim of a close pass depends on alot of factors. In some cases 1.5m feels like a country mile and in others like you've just narrowly escaped death. As soon as you put a specific rule around something inevitably there will be those who feel the need to police it. There used to be a time when common sense and a bit of empathy for your fellow person prevailed and having laws and rules around every tiny aspect of our lives wasn't necessary, but those times are gone.
I think common sense as always needs to be applied but unfortunately it depends on the individual.
I agree with your summing up totallyathumb..

So,if Chippy_Tea is out in his truck and there's a cyclist doing his best down the narrowest of lanes that make passing impossible, it's probably best he don't attempt it.
My mate drives HGV and stopped in a very narrow lane for a very out of control woman on a horse who insisted on accusations of speeding,erratic driving and running her off the road after a speedy pursuit! She was a right Karen and an idiot. My mates tacho/satnav showed him stopped and then very low speed in that area and time. Police gave her a caution.

I always stop if there isn't enough room and if the horse looks a little skittish i turn the engine off any truck driver that doesn't shouldn't be driving.

All our trucks now have 360° CCTV which at first i wasn't a fan of but i am now glad we have it.

A perfect example of an idiot cyclist.

I am in a small village which has a narrow two lane road running through it there is nowhere to park so resident park on one side meaning cars are parked along it's full length, I take up almost all the road that is left and today as I drove along this now one lane road a Wiggins wannabe decided rather than stop to let me through and not put himself in danger he would go for it and go through the small gap between me and the dry stone wall he didn't even slow down, if he had hit a pot hole or had a problem with his cycle he could easily have been killed it's these idiots that get cyclists a bad name.

Last edited:
A perfect example of an idiot cyclist.

I am in a small village which has a narrow two lane road running through it there is nowhere to park so resident park on one side meaning cars are parked along it's full length, I take up almost all the road that is left and today as I drove along this now one lane road a Wiggins wannabe decided rather than stop to let me through and not put himself in danger he would go for it and go through the small gap between me and the dry stone wall he didn't even slow down, if he had hit a pot hole or had a problem with his cycle he could easily have been killed it's these idiots that get cyclists a bad name.
As you were the one on his side of the road shouldn’t you be giving way?

A conversation i had last year on the Kirkstone Pass when i passed a 60 something entitled toad on 2 wheels, this is a narrow road with passing places in some parts, so i am behind this guy and could'nt get past so i waited until the next passing place and nipped past about 20mph i could see in my mirror he was waving at me :laugh8: or so i thought and all this was after i had waited thinking he would pull into a passing place and let me go, anyway about a mile later we stopped for some lunch at a cafe and were sat outside eating and along comes lycra man don't they look silly when their older :laugh8: so he starts giving it what for that i was to close and whatever me in my best French i can't have been that close, him why, me your still walking and riding your bike, this upset him even more he said it's all on camera, me good put it on bookfarce or send it to the the police if it makes you feel better, he then made his biggest mistake and said listen mate, me shut your feckin mouth and i am not your mate now jog on like the good mard a--s you are he them threatend me so i didn't wait i just did what my grandad taught me and hit him only once then the police came, luckily for me the owner of the cafe had it all on cctv and a couple on the next table said it was all his fault and i had been civil with him until he got nasty, also turned out he didn't have a camera, then said he didn't want to press charges. i will say i don't dislike cyclists they have as much right as anyone to use the roads
numpties are all around us rod.

Not sure if this is a wind up but how do you give way on a single lane road with nowhere to pull in?

As I said the road runs the full length of the village and its not streight the parked cars make it a single lane road I was already driving along it when I met the cycle i slowed down as I always but he didn't so in my opinion he was being careless and he put himself in danger not me.

As I said the road runs the full length of the village and its not streight the parked cars make it a single lane road I was already driving along it when I met the cycle i slowed down as I always but he didn't so in my opinion he was being careless and he put himself in danger not me.
Technically you are on the wrong side of the road. Personally as a cyclist I would of stopped to let you past. I don't like taking chance's

This comes back to common sense point being in the right will stop you causing an accident, exactly the same in overcrowded estates where you have to weave in and out of parked cars, having right of way does not mean you can plough on regardless. common sense if you can pull in closer than the other person then of course you should.

The example chippy gives shows a cyclist putting himself and other road users in danger, did he have right of way yes, did he take into account the safety of other road users no, did he ride in safe manner no.

If chippy had pulled out onto the road when the cyclist was already there then I would agree he was at fault but pulling out when the road is clear and then having some one approach at speed creating an issue i am pretty sure how that would go down

The example chippy gives shows a cyclist putting himself and other road users in danger, did he have right of way yes, did he take into account the safety of other road users no, did he ride in safe manner no.

If chippy had pulled out onto the road when the cyclist was already there then I would agree he was at fault but pulling out when the road is clear and then having some one approach at speed creating an issue i am pretty sure how that would go
Spot on

This comes back to common sense point being in the right will stop you causing an accident, exactly the same in overcrowded estates where you have to weave in and out of parked cars, having right of way does not mean you can plough on regardless. common sense if you can pull in closer than the other person then of course you should.

If chippy had pulled out onto the road when the cyclist was already there then I would agree he was at fault but pulling out when the road is clear and then having some one approach at speed creating an issue i am pretty sure how that would go down

Spot on. Its a timing thing.
We have the same and it operates on "take your turn".

But IME that rule often doesn't occur to cyclists. Some don't seem to consider themselves as "road traffic" more "high speed legs".

Yesterday I was on my ebike on a shared use path doing 13 when I was overtaken by 2 cyclists. Knowing that they were 'going to be clearing a path' (loose dogs long leads or 2-3 people walking side by side with a gap wide enough to not get though but too small to pass though) I sped up to tag onto them I did briefly reach 17 but bailed out as it was too fast for the path and I still didn't catch up with them. It great when you can let others in front shout 'bike behind' or ring their bell. However at no point did they slow their pace when they came to other people. I applaud their fitness but not their risk assessment

Yesterday I was on my ebike on a shared use path doing 13 when I was overtaken by 2 cyclists. Knowing that they were 'going to be clearing a path' (loose dogs long leads or 2-3 people walking side by side with a gap wide enough to not get though but too small to pass though) I sped up to tag onto them I did briefly reach 17 but bailed out as it was too fast for the path and I still didn't catch up with them. It great when you can let others in front shout 'bike behind' or ring their bell. However at no point did they slow their pace when they came to other people. I applaud their fitness but not their risk assessment
You are correct, but this also reminds me of the council's stupidity in designating narrow footpaths as cycle routes.
We all know them, the routes you cycle when you have a 4 year old with stabilizers (I won't include the upper age group as round here they all go as fast as me on their e-bikes), but not fit for purpose and more dangerous than just staying on the road.

Latest posts

Back